The Zorcerer of Zo
Chad Underkoffler is the man behind Atomic Sock Monkey Press, creators of the PDQ game engine that's used in games like Dead Inside, Truth & Justice, Ninja Burger 2nd Edition, and the new Zorcerer of Zo. I've seen an early cut of this game and I have to say that it'd make a great stocking stuffer for any gamer or lover of fairy tales, no matter what their age.
The Zorcerer of Zo
By Chad Underkoffler
Format: 6 x 9 sofcover, 202 pages
Price: PREORDER FOR $30.00 - FREE PDF WITH PREORDERS
Preorder now and get a free PDF version within 1 business day!
Once Upon a Time, in the Zantabulous Land of Zo...
Tailors face giants, enchanted queens dance with human peasants, talking creatures perform domestic duties, witches cast curses and fairies grant blessings. And all are seeking their Happily Ever After.
Fairy tales and folktales have served as fertile ground for many stories, novels, cartoons, movies, and games. They speak to common – possibly timeless–human emotional concerns. Despite being retold again and again until they are clichÃ© and their images instantly familiar, something about fairytales always remains fresh and new, speaking expressively to even long-familiar readers or hearers. Fairytales unite the ordinary and the extraordinary in stories full of magic, wonder, and moral lessons.
The Zorcerer of Zo (ZoZ) is a fairytale RPG by Atomic Sock Monkey Press, publishers of Dead Inside and Truth & Justice. Inside ZoZ, you'll find:
- An extensive discussion on fairytales, their nature and tropes.
- An evocative game setting: the Zantabulous Land of Zo (and its five Kingdoms)–strongly influenced by much-beloved fairytale otherworlds like Oz (naturally), Narnia, Wonderland, Fantastica, The Neighborhood of Make-Believe, Florin & Guilder, Neverland, Living Island–and how it developed in-play with the help of the author's gaming group.
- The "Good Parts" PDQ System–a slimmed-down version of the PDQ Core Rules, complete in itself, suitable for fast-paced, straightforward fairytale play.
- Extensive notes on how the initial ZoZ campaign was begun, the setting and episodes were developed, how the game was run, and the campaign came to an exciting climax (and advice on how you can do the same yourself).
- Two "DVD commentary tracks" of textboxes–one from the author/GM and one from the players of the PCs–on the Actual Play of the campaign.
- An appendix with Bonus Material, such as campaign production notes and additional NPCs.
In the words of Willy Wonka:
Close your eyes.
Make a wish.
Count to three.
Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
"Just skimmed it 'zo' far, but I really, really like it.. the Example of Play is one of the best I've seen." - Keyes, RPGNet
"I really love how Atomic Sock Monkey explains the genre like they did with their supers game... that first chapter is just the type of thing to really set a GM's mind moving with adventure ideas and ways of making this game their own. This is an impressive looking book." - Crothian, RPGNet
ZoZ Teasers & Information
ZoZ Preview & Handouts
The Zorcerer of Zo: Available Now! from Atomic Sock Monkey Press
Preorder ZoZ now from Indie Press Revolution, and get a free PDF version within 1 business day!