- ... an amazing collaborative improvisational fiction that combines an intoxicating patchouli whiff of fantasy with the reckless driving tanginess of bebop... --lbr
Welcome to the world of Ghyll. The basic idea is that each player takes on the role of a scholar, from before scholarly pursuits became professionalized (or possibly after they ceased to be). You are cranky, opinionated, prejudiced, and eccentric. You are also collaborating with a number of your peers -- the other players -- on the construction of an encyclopedia about Ghyll. Despite the fact that your peers are self-important, narrow-minded dunderheads, they are honest scholars. No matter how strained their interpretations are, their facts are as accurate as historical research can make them. So if you cite an entry, you have to treat its factual content as true! (Though you can argue vociferously with the interpretation and introduce new facts that shade the interpretation.)
- Round 2 is over! See Round 3 discussion for future Ghyll events.
- Current events: News and further information about the state of play.
- FAQ: Questions, answers, and discussion about the game, rules, and related concerns.
- Round 3 discussion: A discussion of what changes to make after we reach letter Z.
- Scholars shall dib (reserve), and then write, one entry per turn. Turns loop from A to Z back to A.
- Entries shall cite two phantom (unwritten) entries and, after the first turn, one existing entry.
- Scholars shall neither cite themselves, nor write phantoms they were the first to cite.
- After the first turn, all phantoms for a letter shall be written before new entries are created.
- Of your required two phantom citations, only one cited phantom can be newly defined.
- The required per-turn citations must not be to entries or phantoms created in the current turn.
- Rule of A: During turn A, scholars may write new A entries instead of defining an existing A phantom.
- Rule of X: If no turn X phantoms remain, you may write a previous letter's phantom instead.
Example of Play (first turn)
- On the first turn, Sean B. Palmer defines his one entry for the letter A: Andelphracian Lights (Rule 1).
- In Andelphracian Lights, he creates two phantoms: Bysted Timperton and Quester and Phorrus (Rule 2).
- Sean B. Palmer may never define Bysted Timperton and Quester and Phorrus now. (Rule 3).
- On the next turn, all phantoms for the letter B (like Bysted Timperton) must be defined (Rule 4).
Example of Play (all other turns)
- It's turn 2, letter B, and scholars must first define all phantoms starting with that letter (Rule 4).
- Sean B. Palmer wants the Bureau of Forgotten Knowledge and commits an edit saying so (Rule 1).
- He checks "What links here" on the Bureau of Forgotten Knowledge page to see what truths, if any, are known.
- He also searches for the expression/term in the "search" box to find any unlinked mention of his entry.
- He writes the entry, and cites two phantoms (existing or not) and one previously written entry. (Rule 2).
- His citations, however, must not be those he's previously created (Rule 3; see Ghyll Index and FAQ).
- His citations must also have been created or defined before the current turn of play. (Rule 5).
How To Participate
First, read everything you can! Then create an account and log in. Defining a new entry is as simple as going to its URL or clicking any red links (phantoms). For example, to create "Crab apples", go to http://gamegrene.com/wiki/Crab_apples, click "edit", and begin typing. More information (creating headers, links, bold, italic, etc.) can be found at Wikipedia:Help:Editing.
In-game discussion about terms should occur at the bottom of each entry. Out-of-game comments should appear on the entry's "discussion" page. Be warned: other scholars may take heated issue with your comments! For an example, see AuroAnthropology and Talk:AuroAnthropology.
Finally, consider writing a brief intro about your scholar (ex. Morbus Iff and Sean B. Palmer). This is NOT a "turn" - this is just you fleshing out your character, much like you'd do before a new tabletop campaign. You should not reference phantom links in your scholar description - just blurb a bio, and if entries happen to be defined later during play (by yourself or someone else), you can retroactively apply links. You may also want to consider adding your scholar to Gerth page as well.
alvi armani arden armani chanel dkny estee arden armani chanel dkny estee lancome armani armani accessory armani armani brand by clothing armani belt armani black armani black code armani black code cologne armani cafe armani casa armani clothes armani clothing armani code armani code coupon exchange armani collezioni armani cologne armani cosmetic armani dress armani emporium armani exchange armani exchange clothing armani exchange coupon armani exchange outlet armani exchange store armani exchange.com armani express armani eye glasses armani eyewear armani fashion armani figurine armani formal dress armani fragrance armani frame armani furniture armani glasses armani jacket armani jeans armani jewelry armani knight armani lady armani leather jacket armani logo armani make up armani man armani man clothing armani man jeans armani man suit armani man sun glasses armani mania armani mania perfume armani model armani outlet armani pants armani perfume armani shirt armani shoes armani site myspace.com armani statue armani store armani suit armani sun glasses armani sweater armani t shirt armani tie armani tuxedo armani wallet armani watch armani web site armani wholesale armani x armani xchange ax armani exchange clothing shop emporio armani emporio armani eye glasses emporio armani perfume emporio armani sun glasses emporio armani watch fragrance lancome victoria g armani georgio armani georgio armani cologne gio armani giorgio armani giorgio armani biography giorgio armani cologne giorgio armani cosmetic giorgio armani eye glasses giorgio armani eyewear giorgio armani fragrance giorgio armani glasses giorgio armani make up giorgio armani perfume giorgio armani suit giorgio armani sun glasses giorgio armani watch giuseppe armani giuseppe armani figurine guiseppe armani man armani watch victoria